26 October 2006

Balsam Fir Tea

Hi,

It's a cool +7 Celsius, today, here on the south
shore of Nova Scotia. I was forced to wear my
red-checkered jacket for only the third time this
year. You know, the jacket with the hole in the
outer lining of the right sleeve:)

While I was outside, I walked to the lake, and on
the way I started thinking about how my father
used to use balsam fir twigs as a tea while he
was in the forest cutting wood on cold winter
days. So, I cut some twigs and took them home,
so that I could taste the tea once again. I hadn't
made balsam fir tea for a number of years.

Anyhow, let me tell you that it tastes just fine
with a shot of tequila added to the mix! Just
joking:)

Seriously, I'm drinking it as I write this message.
It's high in Vitamin C and was probably the tree
used by the Mi'kmaq to treat European fishermen
of scurvy, centuries ago. Mind you, spruce, pine,
and other conifers are also rich in Vitamin C,
and could have been used to cure scurvy.

I'm drinking the balsam fir tea without anything
added to it, like honey, for example. The smell
is quite strong and, if I close my eyes, I can
imagine myself standing in a grove of fir trees.
In fact, my dining room and kitchen smell of fir!
Also, the smell is quite strong from the tea pot --
sweeter than I had imagined, and almost like the
smell of candy.

Smell and taste are very close, so the tea tastes
a lot like it smells. If you rub the needles of the
balsam fir tree, it exudes a strong scent. This is
how the tea tastes, although it has a slight, bitter,
after taste.

It's a healthy drink and feels quite soothing on my
stomach. If anyone else has experienced the tea,
please leave me a note.

All the best!
Laurie
Learn about medicinal plants/trees by going here!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm drinking some right now for the first time and it's exactly how you described it.

Laurie said...

Thanks for leaving the note. I'm glad you tried the tea!

Best wishes!
Laurie

Brian Marshall said...

Just made a batch... I add a little maple syrup to sweeten up the blend... Great for a chilly day.

Laurie said...

Thanks for your note, balm. I've never tried it with maple syrup. As you say, what a good idea for a chilly day!

All the best,
Laurie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I know this is an old post, but are Balsam fir spring tips a little milder for tea? I just bought some Douglas fir spring tip tea at a store in Madison, Wisconsin USA made by a company called Juniper Ridge. Given that much of the early spring growth of many plants tend to have less secondary metabolites which can lend to higher bitterness or toxicity, many early growth parts of plants are sweeter and milder. I was wondering if this would apply to Balsam firs, too, given that they are a little more accessible to someone in southern Wisconsin.

Envy you for living in Nova Scotia . . .

Anna Schafer said...

Anyhow, let me tell you that it tastes just fine with a shot of tequila added to the mix! Just joking:) where can i buy matcha green tea perth

Richard C. Lambert said...

So, I cut some twigs and took them home, so that I could taste the tea once again. I hadn't made balsam fir tea for a number of years powder green tea perth