05 October 2006

A Writer's Note

Hi Everyone,

While I was walking this evening, I thought about
how too much emphasis on the mechanics of
writing, can stifle the creative urge to put words to
paper or the word processor.

Many of you know exactly what I'm talking about --
there are times when you want to write out an idea,
but you get hung up on style, or grammar, or some
other problem relating to mechanics. In this respect,
I'm trying to form the habit of simply going ahead
and getting it down on paper!

Yes, get it down! That's the main thing. If you want
to mess around with the perfect sentence, do it
later. Make certain you write it down, otherwise you
might lose the idea, or the inspiration, or whatever.

In this respect, writing's a lot like painting. I paint
in oils, and there are times when I find myself
placing too much emphasis on mechanical
procedures. However, when I start painting, I get
into the flow and good things happen! And, guess
what: I almost automatically follow the correct
procedures! At least they're correct for me;)

Well, it's almost 1 o'clock in the morning. I think
I'll go and make myself a cup of tea. Then, perhaps
do a few web-related things, before hitting the sack
for the night.

See you next time!
Laurie

0 comments: