14 August 2007

The Persieds Meteor Shower and Other Things

Hi,

We're having a dark, rainy, overcast night, here on
the south shore of Nova Scotia. I was hoping to go
outside to watch for meteors, again tonight. I went
outside last night and scanned the sky mainly to the
north and northeast. I was able to see six of them
shooting across the sky, at a ratio of one every four
or five minutes of viewing time.

I saw one meteor to the east, and caught the final
moments of a very bright shooting star or meteor
moving in the western sky. It made a bright flash
which I noticed with the peripheral vision of my left
eye. I quickly glanced to the left and caught the bright
streak of light it left in the sky. Beautiful!

So, because of the overcast sky and threat of rain,
I decided to stay inside tonight, rather than take one
of my sojourns along the old mining road. Just as well,
as I've got lots to do inside, and, besides, I've a
date for canoeing tomorrow morning with an old friend.
She's supposed to call me at 7 o'clock to tell me
when she's arriving at Minamkeak Lake.

I'll be driving some 8 to 12 km to the head of the
lake, where we'll meet for the outing. It'll be nice to
get back into a canoe again, as I've been using only
a kayak for the past couple of years. Also, I don't
get out on that part of the lake very often, so it'll be
an interesting morning.

Now, all I have to do is make sure I'm up and about
at an early hour! :) I'm not generally an early riser,
although I appreciate the beauty of the early morning.
It's just that I enjoy my late nights, and it's impossible
to burn the proverbial candle at both ends, as we all
appreciate.

I must go and make a tea. Perhaps I can be in bed
by 2 o'clock -- that's still early for me:)

All the best!
Laurie

0 comments: