28 April 2006

The Song of the Peepers

A couple of nights ago, I was out walking the old
country road at one o'clock in the morning, when I
heard peepers (frogs) singing in a pond up ahead.
As I approached the pond, I moved quietly, so as not
to alert the peepers. I was able to move alongside
the pond, without attracting their attention.

I stood there, listening to the symphony of sound. So
many peepers! Also, the occasional croak of a bullfrog.
I closed my eyes and focused on the array of sounds.
I was soon carried away, and absorbed in this world
of frogs. I wasn't able to see them, but I could tell
that the singing came from all areas of the pond. I
could imagine the social interaction that was taking
place that night! The example of community within this
pond.

I opened my eyes, and noticed the darkness all around
me. Nothing else seemed to be stirring in that darkness.
I continued my walk for about a mile, and then retraced
my steps back home. As I passed the pond, the peepers
were still singing, and the bullfrog was still actively
taking part in its own way.

As I lay in my bed that night, I could still mentally
recall the song of the peepers. It was good medicine
for my mind, and just what I needed for a good night's
sleep.

0 comments: