07 July 2007

About Walking, Swamps, and Living in the Moment

Hi,

Well, I was up and about rather early this morning,
which is unusual for me nowadays. But, you know,
life is constantly in flux, and even I can change and
decide to wake up with the rising sun. :)

Anyhow, I was walking along the road, examining
a swampy area that skirts the old mining road, near
where I live, when I was struck with the act of what
I was doing! Now, I know this sounds corny to many
of you, but, nonetheless, it happened. I mean, here
I was at 6 o'clock in the morning, standing on the
road, examining a swamp!

When I say, "I was struck with the act of what I
was doing," I mean I was struck by the moment or
by how fully I was in the moment, without any
consideration of past memories or projected future
circumstances. I was simply there, standing by
that swamp, enjoying myself at that moment or
those passing moments.

I suddenly felt like a philosopher, and started
thinking about the extent to which past events
and our fears or thoughts about future events,
ruin our lives, or contribute to anger, hate, and
depression, among other things. Mind you, I
realize that those things can also elicit feelings
of love and the other goodies that go with it. But,
nevertheless, I think that many of the world's
problems stem from past historical events, and
fears for the future.

On a personal level, how many relationships have
been ruined because we dwell on the past, or
some event in the past? I'm as guilty as anyone
else in this regard. I mean, we can have years of
happiness, hundreds of wonderful experiences
with our partner, and, yet, we are apt to allow some
singular event from the past, ruin it all. Humans
are nutty, that's for sure!

So, the lesson for today, folks, is that we should
strive to enjoy the moment. Enjoy your relationships
in the moment. Enjoy your life this very moment.
And, when you have the opportunity, wake up
early in the morning and go walking! If you happen
to pass a swamp, take the time to stop and enjoy it.

All the best!
Laurie

0 comments: