22 March 2007

The Passing of Rita Joe

Hi,

Rita Joe, known as the 'poet laureate' of the
Mi'kmaq First Nation, passed away on Tuesday
night. She was 75 and had waged a long battle
with Parkinson's disease.

Sad news, indeed.

I first met Rita and her husband, Frank Joe, back
in the early 1970's at a Writer's Federation of
Nova Scotia meeting. We became good friends.
Then, when I started my work with traditional
plant medicines, I visited Eskasoni, Cape Breton,
and stayed with Rita and Frank and their family.

I have fond memories of that visit. It seems like
only a few short years ago since I was there. In
fact, my visit took place over 30 years ago.

Rita, I'm going to miss you. We both started
writing seriously at about the same time. I
always felt a special connection to you and
Frank, even though we lost contact with each
other, years ago.

May the Great Spirit bless you, Rita Joe!

Good medicine always,
Laurie

0 comments: