18 March 2008

A Cool, Windy, Moonlight Night in Nova Scotia

I went walking at about 11:45 tonight, and what a
terrific walk it was!

The sky was largely clear, except for fast moving
clouds that would, on occasion, block out the light
of the moon until, moments later, when it would
again burst forth from those clouds, lighting up the
road and surrounding landscape.

The temperature was a cool -4 Celsius, with a
wind chill factor of about -12, I would estimate. It
was cold for the middle of March, and I noticed that
puddles of water were frozen solid on the road.

There were heavy gusts of wind from the northwest.
I had walked into this wind, and now had it on my
back, as I returned home. However, approaching
my home, there came a gust that was frightening!
I heard it approaching from the northwest, and it
continued to build in strength until the trees were
making loud sounds all about me.

As luck would have it, I was near the lilac bush and
stonewall that separates my property from the
gravel road. I took refuge behind the stonewall and
bush, and felt protected there. The gust was quite
powerful, but soon passed.

What a great way to take in the energy of the natural
environment! I still feel invigorated as I write this blog
post. This is a wonderful moon -- try to go outside
and enjoy it.

All the best,
Laurie

0 comments: