04 December 2006

The Flight of Jim Charles -- Part 2

Hi,

In any event, as I was saying last time, we arrived
at a cove where we intended to have supper and
camp for the night.

Part 2

While Louis prepared our meal, I decided to scout
the area to see what I might discover. I was
especially interested in cutting a large piece of
birch bark. He pointed over his shoulder, telling me
that I should head northwest, as there was a huge
white birch tree that would suit my needs. He said
that I would come to an old road, and that if I
followed the road, I would soon discover the tree.

I quickly located the old road, deeply gutted and
partially grown over with bushes. I was more than
curious about the road, and wondered why it was
created in this thickly wooded area, miles from
the nearest village? In my fascination with the road,
I completely forgot about the birch tree.

I was quite interested in following the road, to see
where it would take me. And, I wasn't disappointed!
Soon, I could discern a clearing up ahead, but, I
wasn't expecting what I found.

I walked out upon one of the most beautiful places
on earth! At my feet was a field covered in blue
grass that slopped down to the shore of Kejimkujik
lake, dotted with islands, and sparkling in the late
afternoon sun. I could certainly understand why this
was the fairy lake of the Mi'kmaq people – a large
blue and shoreless lake, dotted with green islands,
on which few but the little people have ever dwelt.

Walking down over the field with the thick blue
grass parting before my feet, I was surprised to find
several cultivated apple trees, loaded with fruit. Also,
I found there, old-fashioned red roses in full bloom,
and, nearby, a foundation grown over with bushes.
I looked around, soaking in the beauty, and wondering
who might have lived here, and why such a beautiful
place was abandoned?

to be continued . . . .

0 comments: